Sunday, August 12, 2012

PDA Tucson
Economic and Social Justice Issues Organizing Team
August 11, 2012, 10 AM – noon, Ward 6 Council Office, 3202 E. First St.
Members Present:  Richard Brodesky, Betty Fridena, Richard Fridena, Jim Hannley, Leslie Hunten
1.0       Welcome
1.1       Approval of Minutes—no problems
1.2       Agenda Modifications—add discussion of document from Progressive States Network

2.0       Announcements from the Steering Committee
2.1       Volunteers for Ending Corporate Personhood IOT Coordinator—Richard announced this
2.2       Volunteers for Project to Enhance Open Elections in the City of Tucson--.  After some discussion, we decided to instruct Richard to write to Tom Volgy for more information.
2.3       Begin discussion on taxation in Sept.?—We discussed the City of Tucson’s lack of revenue and reasons for not supporting the Bond election.  We talked about delinquent property taxes and how the radical right is organized to mobilize on fiscal matters.  In Sept., we will start a deliberate discussion on fiscal matters—not just taxation and see if we can move toward a progressive program. 
2.4       Possible collaboration with The Rogue Theater—The Steering Committee instructed Richard to contact the Company about events associated with their performances of Mother Courage in January 2013.  He has done so. 

3.0       Unfinished Business
3.1     Update on Public Banking Project              Jim
Jim discussed meeting with Karen Uhlich, the upcoming meeting with Steve Kozalchik, and our collaboration with Marc Armstrong of the Public Banking Institute. 
3.2     National Letter Carriers Union and Postal Bank—This group is working to re-create the postal bank to infuse revenue into the Postal service.  The PBI is involved.  Volunteers are welcome. 
3.3     Progressive Film Festival                            Leslie
Leslie is pursuing contact with the Screening room.  She’ll be looking at other venues.  There is interest on the upcoming UA films on the Bill of Rights. 
3.4     Interest in a Progressive Book Club--deferred
3.5     Messaging—We are exploring other ways to send out our ideas. 
3.6     Link to Progressive States Network—Please use the following link to view a major report which may be used as a reference.

4.0       New Business
4.1       Possible new economic alliance—The Steering Committee has asked Richard to contact other people and groups to start building a broader economic program for our area as well as greater consensus.  The team has approved of this action. 

Next Meeting:  Saturday, Sept. 15, 10 AM – noon, East Room Ward 6 Council Office, 3202 E. First St. 


No comments:

Post a Comment